In this article, we take you the step-by-step process of restoring a MAG 250/254/256 set-top box back to it’s factory default settings.
Before proceeding, it is highly recommended that you use ethernet network cable during this process to ensure your MAG box has an active internet connection.
Connect one end of the ethernet network cable to the ethernet socket at the back of the MAG box, and the other end to a spare ethernet port on your internet router or cable modem.
This will ensure a fast and stable internet connect during this process, where your box will attempt to flash and upgrade it’s firmware via a software autoupdate.
Failure to use an ethernet cable may result in an unsuccessful factory reset.
MAG Box Factory Reset
1. Unplug the power cable at the back of the MAG box, wait a few seconds and then reinsert.
2. Immediately press and hold the MENU button on your remote, pointing at your MAG box. Do not release until you see the blue BIOS screen.
3. Using your remote’s arrow keys, highlight “Def. Settings” and then press the right arrow on your remote.
4. Now press OK on your remote to confirm.
Note: If you see the words “Wrong Image”on screen, then please ignore.
5. Now reboot your box by highlighting “Exit & Save” and then press the right arrow button on your remote.
6. As soon as your MAG box starts to reboot, press and hold the MENU button on your remote to go back into blue BIOS screen.
7. Now, highlight “TV System” with your remote and ensure this is set to 720p-50 by using the right arrow key on your remote.
8. Next, ensure “Boot Mode” is displayed as NAND.
9. If not, highlight using your remote and press the right arrow button until it displays “NAND”.
10. Finally, reboot your box by highlighting “Exit & Save” and then press the right arrow button on your remote.
11. Press OK on your remote to confirm. The MAG box will then start the reboot process. Please wait for this to fully complete…
12. Once rebooted, you should see the MAG box home screen displaying icons on a black background.
Important: your MAG Box may run a “Software Autoupdate” at this point. If so, allow this to complete. Do not disconnect the power or interrupt this process.
13. From the inner portal home screen, use your remote’s arrow keys to navigate to “Settings” and then press OK.
14. Then on the next screen, highlight “Software autoupdate” and press OK.
15. On the next screen, use the left arrow button on your remote to cycle through the Autoupdate options until you see “Enabled”. Then press OK to save.
16. Finally, press the green F2 button on your remote to initiate a manual software update. When you see the confirmation screen, press the red F1 button on your remote to confirm.
17. The software update process will then start. Allow it to complete. Once finished, your box will reboot.
Once your MAG box has rebooted, it should return to the inner portal home screen, from where you need to configure a few other items before you are ready to use your new TV service.
Configure Time Server
18. From the home screen, use your remote to highlight “Settings” and then press OK.
19. On the next screen, highlight “System Settings” and press OK.
20. Next, go to “Servers” and then press OK.
21. Then highlight “General” and press the OK button on your remote.
22. On this screen, enter the following into the NTP server text field: pool.ntp.org
Press on KB (Keyboard) button on our remote to activate the on-screen keyboard and type this in.
Use the arrow keys on your remote to locate the correct keys and then press the OK button to select each letter or character one-by-one.
When completed, press the KB (Keyboard) button again to close the on-screen keyboard.
Then press the OK button on your remote to save the time server setting.
23. Finally, press the EXIT button twice on your remote to go back to the “System Settings” screen.
Configure Wi-Fi Network
24. If your MAG box is using a dongle to connect to a WiFi network, you need to set this up next
25. From the “System Settings” screen, highlight “Network” using your remote and press OK.
26. Next, highlight Wireless (Wi-Fi) and press OK using your remote.
27. Now highlight “Auto (DHCP)” and press OK on your remote.
28. On the next screen, you will see available WiFi networks. Highlight the correct network you wish to use and press OK.
29. Now using your remote, highlight the “Key or passphrase” text field, then press the KB (Keyboard) button to activate the on-screen keyboard. Then use your remote to enter your WiFi network password, paying close attention to correct cases and special characters.
Once entered, press the KB (Keyboard) button once again to close the on-screen keyboard. Then press OK on your remote to save your password settings.
Add UK TV Service
30. From the System Settings screen, highlight “Servers”and press OK using your remote.
31. Now highlight “Portals” and press OK
32. On the next screen, highlight the “Portal 1 URL” text field and then press the KB (Keyboard) button on your remote to activate the on-screen keyboard.
Then use your remote to enter: primary3.magbox.tv
Once entered, press the KB (Keyboard)button once again to close the on-screen keyboard. Then press OKon your remote to save changes.
33. Now press the EXIT button on your remote, then press EXIT once again until you reach the System Settings screen.
34. Finally, highlight “Reboot device” and press OK using your remote. Press OK once again to confirm. The box will now restart.
35. If configured correctly, your MAG box should fully reboot and load our UK TV service.
In some instances, your MAG box may not display the “Portals” option under the “Servers” menu after hard resetting, thus preventing you from entering and saving your desired “Portal URL” details.
This is usually caused by unofficial customised firmware being loaded onto your MAG box.
If this is the case, you will instead need to reload a completely fresh copy of the official Infomir firmware for your model of MAG set top box.
Please refer to our other help guides for more details on this process.
Watch the Video Tutorial
Want to see a step-by-step walk-through video? Then sit back and watch how to factory reset your MAG box from our YouTube channel.
You can also download our PDF Help Sheet for step-by-step instructions you can save and print.